Sunday, January 16, 2022

New Year, old projects.

   Often I start small projects either as a simple distraction or a prototype.  Sitting on the edge of my work space were two such projects.


 This box was built ages ago and has sat around, for a while filled with cough drops. I finally finished it.  It now has an incised and painted top. It will not hold cough candies and better than before, but now it looks to be a finished project.  I have a small set of basic palm style carving chisels that were used to shape the pansy. I've used these chisels from early in my wood working days to add a little something... I used shallow gauges because they are easier to sharpen and palm chisels I find them easier to control.

  Another little project that sat staring at me for months and months was a sea serpent.


  Head, tail and one hump were finished months ago.  Yesterday I polished off the other hump, then waxed and polished the whole thing.  This guy was inspired by a neighbour's lawn ornament. I have no idea what kind of wood this is, it is fairly hard and close grained. 

  One of the first tools I bought for my original shop was a scroll saw.


This is the photo showing the pattern, the one I made got sent away before I took a photo.



  This went to a young member of the extended family.  I made lots of these easy puzzles 9-10 years ago for Grand kids.  I enjoy scroll saw work though I never became truly expert.  Check out some of these projects. I am always impressed by the results some people can get with talent and practise.

  And, while I was waiting for glue to dry:


another spoon, for loose tea.  I think is is cedar, it was very, very dry and so not really  good wood for carving, but it was truly just a thing to do while I was listening to a pod cast. 

  It is nice to clear away things that have drifted to the margins.  I have some more cleaning and organizing to do, no doubt I will be reminded of others things to finish.

  Stay Warm,
cheers ianw






 

No comments:

Post a Comment