Monday, December 13, 2021

Spoons, it is the season.....

 


  Step one in carving a spoon is wood selection.  Sometimes I begin with a sawn board about one inch thick, usually I also mark the spoon out and cut the outline shape on the band saw. 


  Fast and effective, but lately I have been using Japanese Ornamental Cherry, last spring I cut a fairly large branch off the tree in front of our house. Using wood like this  results is more individual and attractive spoons.

  This week as I split the branch I discovered the wood is still a bit damp inside. Slightly damp wood is easier to carve. I split the branch with a hatchet and large wooden maul. 



  I mark the basic outline on the wood and then use my hatchet, draw knife and heavy carving knife to rough out the basic shape.  The handle's ultimate shape is decided by the wood grain and so often not perfectly straight. Shaping the handle to be comfortable and useful even though slightly bent is part of the carver's art. A spoon with a bent handle is definitely a right or left handed tool, but that is part of what makes each spoon individual.


 This spoon is awaiting final sanding.  In my experience it takes longer for the final sanding then to get the spoon to this stage. I usually carve a couple of spoons, clean up the work space and then sand them. Sanding is noisier and not as much fun as I often opt to use power sanders for the final shaping, it is just faster.

  If there is any doubt about this being hand hewed,


the shop needs to be cleaned with a shovel after making a couple of spoons.

 I have a few spreaders and a couple of cutting boards to finish before Christmas so I best carry on.

cheers ianw




 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment