Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Quiet Projects - a solution to a problem.

  Elm is an interesting wood with nice colour and grain. I was listening to an audio book and played around in the shop.  I decided to make my wife a pendant. I had cleaning to do and a bunch of little bits of nice wood accumulated, so I carved out a pendant ( 1 1/2 inch across).  It was a pleasant diversion, with knives, rasps and sand paper.  

  I think I will make some more to attach to Christmas gifts. I will have to write on the To:, the From will be obvious.
 


NEXT
  A silly project:
   My soap kept falling off this shower rack and finally I got around to fixing the problem.  I actually had to wait until I bought copper wire before I could  make this.



  The top shelf needed something to keep the bars of soap and little things from falling off. A world famous blogger would not post this, their projects are so much more epic.  Probably.         I am retired; at this point I avoid epic, but also.....most of life is not epic.

  I ripped the wood on the band saw, drilled, sanded and assembled with copper wire a solution to a problem.  To me, that is one  reason for having tools and a shop. It is nice to solve a problem in house. The typical solution is to go to a store and buy something made and shipped from the other side of the world.  I only call on international industrial might when I have to.  Maybe that is an attitude to cultivate?

cheers,ianw   

just an idea, 
if you've got the materials at hand.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment