Friday, September 10, 2021

More Shop Jobs

 

  A while ago a friend gave me this tin box. He knows that a shop always needs more storage space.  The box is large enough that it really needs handles on the ends.



    I picked an oak off cut to form the handles.  Oak is strong enough that the pieces don't have to be very large, and the handles can be polished smooth and comfortable.


  I shaped the  handles with hand tools. Planes, handsaw and rasps enabled me to make the handles one evening while listening books on tape. 
  

  When I was watering the house plants the other day I noticed:


  the wheeled pot stand upon which our Fish Tail Palm sits had really suffers from the damp.


How much? you can see the bow in the wood compared to the straight edge of the level.  The wheeled pot stand was 3/4 particle board with four casters on the corners.  Particle board is cheap and does not respond well to damp.  The palm tree had been over watered a few time lately and what strength the board had was gone

  The replacement is all around better quality and nicer looking.  I had a piece of kitchen counter which I trimmed with real wood, to improve its look and strength.


  The trim is held on with out door glue and pocket hole screws





  New wheeled stand with a cleaned and stained pot.

  It is nice to have a shop to play in.

cheers ianw


 















No comments:

Post a Comment