Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Making A Box Or Two

   I don't really have any projects ahead of me so I think I will make some boxes.  You can always use another box.  To begin I made some lumber. In my lumber rack are many 18 - 30 inch long bits of left over wood.  Much of it is rough, reclaimed from skids or construction lumber. I decided to make some 3/8 and some 1/2 slabs ahead of need.  The joiner and the planner have to be rolled into the centre of the shop and they are both noisy. I  wanted to get the unpleasant part of the work out of the way first. 



various bits of wood.  some of it is domestic but some 
is recovered  exotic hardwood from skids.  A couple of the 
pieces have amazing grain patterns. 
 

Edge gluing clamps. I don't need them 
often but when I do ...they are great.


 For a change I thought I would use my Incra IBox jig fo make a bunch of finger joint boxes.  The previous time I used this jig I had it set up for use on the router table.  This time I thought I would use it on my table saw.  I had to return to the instructional videos as I couldn't remember the set up.  Frankly it doesn't seem intuitive to me.  As you see below, following the instructions enables you to cut finger joints, and quickly once it is set up.  I will make all the boxes with this width of fingers. 


This box is made from a spruce 2 x 4 cut down to 3/8 inch.  Once it is sanded and stained it will look fine.  I think it will be used as a flower box on a window ledge.

  Box making is a nice diversion and generally the result is useful.  The weather is improving, the motorcycle is on the road as is my electric computer bicycle, shortly the car will be only used for cargo trips.

 





I like  Blue Bikes.

cheers Ianw








No comments:

Post a Comment