Friday, December 25, 2020

Merry Christmas 2020

   For only the second time in my long life I have not shared a meal with my Mother and Brother on Christmas Day.  The only other time Eva and I were in New Zealand on holiday. Fresh local strawberries are traditional on Christmas day there.  This year it is Eva and I. No extended family, I am lucky to have Eva with which to share the day.

  This year we are in lock-down because of Covid-19, however, everyone in our extended family has remained healthy and almost fully employed so in the grand scheme of things we are Okay.  I truly hope that you are too.

  I have been working on some small seasonal things over the last week or two.  This is a candle holder idea.  The bottle is used as a chimney to protect the tea light flame.  As a prototype it is clear that the wooden backing needs to be reduced in size. 

  


  In the back of the photograph you can see last year's nut cracker and a carved bowl.  It is pretty tough to find a view in our house with no shop projects in the frame.


about 2 x 4 inches

  Two small scroll saw/carving projects, awaiting varnish.



If you are hot chocolate drinker, a serious, old school hot chocolate drinker you know what this is.  I turned this hand mixer from hard maple and burned a few lines into the handle just for fun.  Used correctly, with the right rich creamy ingredients your hot chocolate tastes like a holiday in Barcelona. ( note: hot chocolate, not cocoa.)

  Two bowls, the tall narrow one is from wormy wood. It was fun to turn on a face plate but tough to finish since it has voids. 


  This bowl is still on the lathe, I am trying to fill all the voids on this one before final sanding.  It is taking time,



  It has been a busy December what with shop things, binding books, painting Christmas cards and searching for the perfect surprise gift.  

  We all look forward to the New Year with bated breath.  Please be wise, be safe and be kind.

Merry Christmas from Eva and I.

cheers ianw 













No comments:

Post a Comment