Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Circular Saw JIg



  I am making a very tall corner shelf for a friend of mine.  The shelf is 8 ft. tall, 12 inches wide and 9 1/2 inches deep. I am making it from reclaimed oak church pew.


  To rip the pew to width I used a circular saw and the KREG ripping jig. ( the wood was too heavy and awkward to try and manage on my contractor table saw.) Once the saw is tightened on to the jig cutting long rip cuts are easy and accurate. In the past I have used this jig to break down many sheets of plywood.  It is not a tool I use often but it is great to have it on hand.



  As you can see I don't have a track saw, but over time have made a variety of jigs to enable me to guide my circular saw to make accurate cross  and rip cuts.  The jigs are clearly labelled which of my two circular saws fit the jig. 


  If my table saw gave up the ghost I would seriously, seriously look at a track saw system to replace it.  Even with home made guides a circular saw can do pretty good work.

cheers, ianw






No comments:

Post a Comment