Thursday, April 16, 2020

Two Tough Tools for Re-claimed Lumber Projects.

 I am currently making the many stakes that will be used to hold up Eva's peonies.  



  The stakes is about 24 inches long and are made from construction grade left over 2x4 and 2x6.  Some of the wood had been outside for the whole winter. so pretty rough.  I brought it in for a couple of days to dry out and then set to work cleaning, cutting and shaping. 

  To rough this wood to length I used a rough cut saw.



  This is a pull cut saw generally used to cut plastic pipe among  other nasty on site jobs.  It was purchased for just that sort of thing.  I use enough construction lumber and pallet wood to need a cheap no worries rough saw. It came from a local hardware store a while ago for a reasonable price thus I have no reservations when using it. There are no shortage of handsaws  with  impulse hardened teeth for under $30.00 CAN. I really recommend every shop and home should have one for everything from garden trimming to rough carpentry.

 The other rough tool is not as obvious.


  Ten years ago I imported hand planes from India made by Anant Company.  There are a couple of companies that make a similar low cost planes.  I have two of these Stanley 33 copies, one for rough work and one with a fine blade setting.  Since this plane cost about $25.00 and the blades aren't great to begin with I use this plane to explore the wood I am working.  Some re-claimed wood is so nasty it needs to be wire brushed or hosed down before I can do much with it, once it is 'cleaned' I use this plane to round edges and clean up rough grain.  Yes there is a nick in the blade, but.. better this tool than my good Veritas low angle smoothing plane. This is also the tool I put into the hands of my Grandchildren.  The less I fuss the more the kids are comfortable in the shop. 

  I have made some quality things from pallet wood, the wood can be nice once the gritty exterior is removed and then you can use your 'good' tools to finish your project.

cheers, ianw



  
Caring for Peonies | DIY

   Peonies can be top heavy.







No comments:

Post a Comment