Thursday, April 9, 2020

Finished Box, sow's ear to silk purse.


 Given the time spent at home I have been able to make serious headway on sorting out my accumulated 'stuff'.  The other thing that I have been doing is finishing up things that have been on the shelf for a while.

  

  The wine box top will be mated with a tool bin/box.  The box is made from re-claimed lumber complete with nail holes from its previous life.





  I used two small hinges to hold on the top and then reinforced them with leather. I buy the leather as scraps for a few dollars a pound and really like how it mates with wood.



  And the clasp is also made from leather and brass.


    I used a water based strain that I bought on clearance at IKEA a couple of years ago.  I really like the colour and the stain was easy to use.  I may buy some more when the stores open again.  The stain is some oil based varnish that was on the back of a shelf and the results are pretty good.

  This was a project that began as a throw away parts bin four or five years ago made from cheap materials.  A little TLC and it  has turned out pretty nice, now, what to do with it?

  cheers, ianw


No comments:

Post a Comment