Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Two Turnings and Two Legs

  Having sorted out the work station and nearly sorted out dust collection I have been working on my lathe.

  I have two of the legs made, it takes about 30 minutes from start to sanding with four hundred grit.  I am not finishing the legs, they will be painted in the end.


  The maple makes a straight grained and sturdy leg. Once all eight legs are turned I will drill them for the braces then glue the whole thing together. 

  The wood turning diversions were: one functional, one artistic.



  The plastic end on my shop vac broke so I made a replacement.


  Super glue glues anything to anything, vacuum hose to wood, no problem. I need the vacuum to suck up all the fine, fine dust from the sanding stage on the lathe projects.



  Last April I turned this bowl for shaving soap.   Today I got around to turning a top for it. Now the brush will sit on top of the bowl and the soap will not dry out as fast.


  I picked the board with the knot on purpose, it adds character though it made the turning a bit tricky.  Now the bowl looks pretty shabby, I think I will have to wax and polish it before I put in back in the bathroom.  Nice diversion, next thing is to settle down and turn some more legs. 

  Sharpening a roughing gouge, good video. I need to sharpen my gouges. 

 Another days work.

cheers, ianw



    




No comments:

Post a Comment