Monday, September 23, 2019

Why Wood, again.

  If you've read many of my blogs you know that I have a deep and abiding love of wood.  Wood is beautiful to see, smell and touch.  It also is a material that is easy and cost effective to shape and form as well as a sturdy building material. Know what else? When wood is properly cared for it has a much longer life than most 'low maintenance' materials.  

  What brought this whole thing on was three flower boxes from our back patio.


  In these three boxes live seasonal plants from our living room from late spring 'til late Autumn.  Two of the boxes are cedar and the small one is cedar with oak corners. These boxes have lived outside year round for many years.

 

    First each box needed to be brushed firmly with a wire brush and then the bug bits cleared out from inside.  There was even the beginnings of a wasp's nest in one of the boxes. A couple of the boards needed to be re-nailed and there were screws to tighten but...with a good coat of Flecto Danish Oil the boxes are as good as new and ready for several more years.  Have you noticed how quickly plastic flower pots and boxes become brittle and useless?  I have.

  

  This tin reminds me of a shop tip I want to share.  Whenever I go to the Re-Store, or any place that sells paint and finishes (big box store included) I check to see that they are selling cheap.  I seldom pay more than a couple of bucks a gallon for my utility latex paint.  I use the grossest  purples and greenish greys you can imagine for base coats or to seal the ends on boards.  Why use full price paint when it is going to be covered later or cut away.  Also when I see anything like this danish oil on super clearance I buy it to stain/treat things that live outside.  I have one more part tin on my shelf so I need to actively look out for some more product.  

  That is another bonus to wood.  With careful consideration, it can be a cheap as well as satisfying medium in which to work.

  To go along with my 'I love wood theme', here is a photo showing some of my wife's current set of kitchen tools for souping, stewing and mixing stuff.


  Looking at this I am reminded that  we've got several spreaders that I made and my grand daughters all have scaled down tools too.  Once the cheap plastic handles break on silicon spatulas I replace those handles as well.

  I have a tonne of tools that I have gathered up over time but.....there is lots if interesting and satisfying wood working possible with a few tools and heart felt desire. Nothing feels better on a wet cold day than mixing your home made soup with a spoon you made yourself.

 cheers,
ianw

Image result for soup in a pot
sturdy veggie soup.
  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment