Saturday, September 21, 2019

Oak is a wonderful wood


Before and After

  Last week I replaced an oak spatula that has seen years of work in Eva's kitchen. With a band saw or jig saw and a bit of sand paper you are able to make a new spatula in about 30 minutes, including coffee drinking time.


Sections of Oak church Pew

  Our church has replaced several rows of pews with very nice, comfortable chairs. I was lucky enough to be given six 12 foot sections of discarded pew.  My long term plan is to make an stand up dresser like the one I made forty years ago for my brother.  Only this time out of oak, not plywood.

 Currently however I am making crosses from smaller off cuts from the pews.


  Once finished the crosses will be strung for necklaces.  I think there are people at our church who would like a cross like this as a reminder of their connection to our particular church and their faith in general.

  Carving small oak pieces is not so much carving as it is shaping.  I cut the rough shape out on the band saw and then work with small files and sand paper to smooth out the piece.  It is quite relaxing. There remains several off cuts that will be cut into crosses of various sizes.   

  Another project I was working on, it is really a shop tip for Canadians. One evening while cleaning up my bench I took out my drawer of small washers and make a bunch for future use.

  Now that pennies are no longer legal tender I can punch and drill them making perfectly serviceable washers for wood working projects. 

  The workshop season is returning.  I have several things I want to do with my shop space to make working easier as well as get back to making things on my lathe. 

  Enjoy the autumn weather and carrying on making things.

cheers, ianw


Image result for fall colours  
 The road less traveled.







No comments:

Post a Comment