Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Proportional Dividers - A Design Tool

  Lately I seem to have been taking on projects that required me to draw or at least design the object from a photo, a sketch or just an idea.  For my Grand daughters I drew some garden ornaments.

  The three year old and the five year old have different artistic styles, as you can see.  

    I am also working on the train planter and I have to design it from scratch.  For that project   I did sketches in 1/2 scale and then made full sized plans so I could see the spacing of the wheels particularly.  Doubling the size of a plan requires simple arithmetic.  Taking a design from a photograph and making it 20% larger involves more number crunching, or having the correct special tool.

 
Proportional Dividers 
  I made a set of Proportional Divider  from a piece of roasted maple.  With these dividers I can scale up or down by 4 times.  

  This video shows how to use Proportional Dividers beginning at ten minutes in.  If you have to scale drawings and don't have ready access to a photocopier there are other methods explained in the rest of the video.



  When I watched this and a couple of other related videos I went on line to see what it cost to acquire my own Dividers.  Everything from a little to a whole bunch. Since I am thrifty, resourceful and have a basement full of tools, I made my own. I also plan to make a larger set for bigger projects.

 Making the dividers was a hand tool job.  I used my low cost jack plane and planing jig to shape the project,  then my finish plane to add the final touch. I cut the angles with a fine tooth saw and drilled the holes using the drill press.  Before I drilled the holes I taped the two pieces together to insure the alignment was exact.  My D.I.Y.  dividers  are not  a precision instrument but will provide consistent enough information for my uses.

   As well as wood working things for Tova and Rowan to paint I drew a couple of things for them to colour. 



  Dividers make it easier to move drawings like these from a book to an art paper suitable for colouring.  

cheers ianw


No comments:

Post a Comment