Saturday, November 20, 2021

Photo frame, tea pot and book rack

I have puttered away in the shop lately, and actually finished a couple of things.

Painting from P.E.I


  This photo frame is made from found wood and found glass. Eva bought the painting while on a week's holiday in September. We are a bicycle riding family, so we like bike art.



There is plenty of talent in our family.  My niece and her mother throw pots and I have one of their tea pots.  It is lovely and will live in my shop.  I am working on a handle, the glue is drying as I type. 

  The tea pot is sitting on one of my favourite book rack patterns. I think I have made at least a dozen.


  This version used 24 inches of re-claimed cedar decking. I cut the board into its three pieces then hand planed and sanded it smooth.  The angle is just enough to lean the books over. 
   I know that cedar dust it dangerous but with the right precautions cedar is lovely to work, it is light, strong and smells great. I used one coat of Garnet toned shellac just to seal the grain and bring out the high lights a bit.  
  A project like this is a great, easy D.I.Y type gift. This is another project for a two power tool shop.  The two power tools, a jig saw and a cordless drill. If you are starting out or have limited space or money those two power tools and a hand full of basic hand tools will build lots and lots of small things that will personalise your home and life.
  Winter is coming folks, we put up our Christmas lights today.
 cheers ianw






 

No comments:

Post a Comment