Saturday, May 29, 2021

Its been a while

It has been awhile since I posted to my blog.  There are several good reasons, it is motorcycle weather and so I have been out riding, also bicycle riding and for the most part spending less time in the shop.  However. I have been using my tools and time to repair hoses and extension cords and flower pots and other things related to getting the garden season underway.  Those jobs included sanding rust off shovels and hoes as well as painting and sealing tool handles for example.

This little flower pot cat was a gift to my wife from a friend that is now gone and so something to be preserved. 

first leg replacement.




Last November I replaced a broken leg, this spring the other needed replacement too. This time the little cat got repainted as well.  A job doesn't have to be big to be meaningful

  
  I also took some time to make a wooden box for a set of watercolour paints. I had been using a cardboard creation held together with duct tape and decided as I was puttering around to use some basswood and door skin to make a nicer case for my paints.


  There was designing, cutting,gluing and sanding, so it was a shop project, just interesting enough for a blog.

  This afternoon however I did a real wood working project. Or rather re-did a wood working project.

  In 2017 I made a four legged end table using as ash round and turned legs.  The project result was about a C+. Worked okay, but didn't look so good.   I made a couple of design mistakes and a couple of execution errors. The table didn't fall over or anything but it really looked like a failed prototype. The biggest problem was drilling the angled holes for the legs. In January I tried a three legged version and had much better results. It was time to fix the first version.


  The top of the table is a good size and two inches thick on average. 


  I decided to re-use the legs. I cut them off leaving the holes plugged, since I was going to have to drill new locations for the three legs anyway. 


  By reloading the elm legs on the wood lathe and turning a new shoulder I was able to re-use the legs.  The mini lather is just long enough to fit these legs.


  The real advancement to achieving a better result was the making of a jig to go on the drill press table to give me a constant and controlled drilling angle. The January 22nd 2021 blog entry talks about the jig, which is now painted bright red.  The photograph shows how I control the drilling process, clamps, lots of clamps. I clamped the jig firmly to the drill press table first, making sure that it was not going to move. Then I clamped the wood firmly, to the table and the jig.  I usually work by my self in the shop and so have many clamps of many types and sizes. Since the forstner was 1 1/2 inches and drilling through end grain ash, 'slow and steady wins the race'.  
  
  The final construction turned out well.  The table sits very flat and stable.  The legs also look balanced and symmetrical  from all sides.  Once the glue dries I will sand the whole thing before re-applying the shellac finish.    


  You will see the other small change I made to the table top in the next blog when you see the finished product.

cheers, ianw







No comments:

Post a Comment