Tuesday, February 16, 2021

A Tip and Projects

   The 'tip', I thought I would share is my carving gloves. I bought leather finger protectors a  few years ago and while they made carving safer I couldn't get them to stay in place very well. Having wood slip around in my hands while carving was just as unsafe as a firm grip in a bare hand in my mind. My solution is ugly but effective. I glued the leather finger tips onto rubber palmed work gloves.  I have worn the gloves long enough that I have worn a few holes which I have taped up with Duct Tape.  One of these days I will move the finger tips to new gloves, I guess.  I have two pairs like this so that a guest carver can work safely too.


   This is a 'why wood' kind of thing.  This cheerfully painted box was my Mother's when she was a little girl. Over eighty years ago she got this box to hold a doll and its clothes.  Originally this was a tiny steamer chest, blue with black strapping, looking just like the real thing only about 10 by 10 by 18 inches.


  When I was little this box was the grand kid's toy box at my Grama's house. So 55 years ago, and it was still blue. The key, well, that was long gone even when I was a kid. My Mother went through a 'folk art' phase and lots of things got painted with hearts and flowers, that was 25 or 30  years ago.  Recently Mom gave this to me to pass on to a Grand Daughter and all that the box needed was to have the tired old hinges fixed.



  The hinges had been sprung from years of the lid being opened fully.  I was going to cut the old hinges away and install me ones. Then I reconsidered, there was no need to remove the old hinges.  Taking the hinges off would have exposed holes that would have to be filled, and I am sure the box was painted around the hinges.  To keep from having to fill holes, and match paint I just added two more little hinges to solid wood and the box is as good as it was 50 years ago.

  That is why I love wood.  There are no cool plastic boxes from 80 years ago.  If it had been metal it would have gotten rusty from thoughtless storage and been discarded. When my Grand daughter gets old enough to more on to college this toy box will be nearly 100 years old, and there is no reason not to imagine it living onto her children.  Wood will last, in use, like few other materials.  The flowers and hearts my be replaced with something new but..this box and its history will endure.



  Here is another box from my Mom. When Mom was going through her ceramic  phase I made her this box in my first workshop. (30 ish years ago) She hauled this about the country first with tools and glazes and later with paint and brushes. I presented her with a white box, you can see what happened. I think she was quite good at 'folk art' painting.  This box, I think will stay in my shop, for brushes, tools and sentimental reasons.

  This project is just being put into storage to await another Christmas season. Eva cut scores of slices from fire wood, drilled holes and wired the rounds to a wire frame that came originally covered with BRIGHT coloured garland. Eva made three trees, we kept one.  This is her variation on things seen in real life and on-line.  A work shop is not necessary, but a table saw sure made cutting the slices quicker and easier than by hand. 



  These various things out of the way, I am starting on a series of blogs related to wooden planes. 


  Next time, evaluation and decisions.  Check out Rex Figures It Out, my inspiration for the next couple of blogs.

cheers, ianw 





No comments:

Post a Comment