Friday, May 15, 2020

Now to Finish up.

  I think I have the cleaning part of the wood shop done.  This cupboard that was in the back corner has come down .


  The small shelf unit is gone and the brown low boy went months ago. Now the back corner looks like this.

only rotated 90 degrees. I don't know why the computer software won't work today.

 It appears  there are  several small projects that were begun and then shelved, for various reasons. As well as things to finish there are several outstanding tasks.  I have a set of doors to fix, door knobs to turn and install  and a handle for a chisel.


  I bought this un-handled mortise chisel a while ago.  It looked like the perfect tool for cleaning up and squaring hand cut mortises, several of which I had just made.  Of course once I bought the chisel I didn't need it, and it slid to the back of the cupboard and was mostly forgotten.  This morning I quickly turned a handle for the chisel on my lathe. With the correct tools it is a quick process to knock out tool handles.



  Or in this case In the rummaging around I found a mallet handle awaiting a head.  Next project, laminate another head to fit this handle, I've got some maple that should be great for this.   The round handle lends itself to a carver's maul with a round head. 



  There is a lovely elm box, with a poor lid.  I cut a slot in the lid from the wrong side when I was working on this project. I've got a real nice elm board that I will glue up and make a proper quality lid for my box.  



  I have two drawers that were part of a modular desk. The desk is long gone, the drawers will be made into a free standing unit, on wheels that will be useful in our home office. Again the pieces had drifted into a back corner and become hidden from view by dust and lumber. 

  There are a bunch of partly finished tea boxes, pencil boxes etc that were in a banker's box back in the back of the basement.  It appears that these were things I started  when I didn't really have anything pressing, and then put them aside when something came up. 




There are an equal number of wood carvings that fall into the same category as these boxes.  Also I have a plan for an artist's travelling paint pallet or two amongst the various projects on those two shelves.  

  Time to carry on and finish a whole bunch of this stuff off and find it homes.

cheers, ianw



  

No comments:

Post a Comment