Monday, October 22, 2018

Burned Wood Finish

  This time I decided to make something nicer than another storage  box for my shop with my found wood.  I began this project by planning and sanding two of the better pieces of raw spruce pallet wood.  


  I decided to use wood plugs and glue again to make this project.  Bamboo skewers make excellent dowels and are super cheap. There have been several videos on YouTube lately showing wood being burned either to create an ebony finish, or in this case to highlight the grain. 


  I've never done this technique before so I sanded the outside burned wood and left the inside unsanded.  Since I am lazy and hate sanding I was curious to see how much difference sanding or not would make.  The results remain to be seen.

  As with so many basic workshop techniques there is room for improvement on the second attempt.


cheers, IanW


No comments:

Post a Comment