Saturday, January 6, 2018

Quick Little Things.



  There are few things as satisfying as getting hugs and smiles from Grand children.  When ever I am asked " Opa can you make me a ........."  I always say yes.  Sometimes the time spent making the thing is more than the time spent playing with it.  Sometimes the toy becomes a part of their lives.  You can never know what attention each project will receive.

  As my Swedish grand daughters were leaving a few days ago one noticed scroll saw lizard fridge magnets. Today I spent a while in the shop making her a lizard.


  As simple as this lizard was I still used several tools.  I started with my band saw, then I finished the cutting on my scroll saw.  After the wood was cut to shape it needed to be filed and sanded smooth.  I glued the button eyes on with a hot glue gun.  I was asked to make some lizards that could be painted, of course, that is what Opa's do.

  This morning the blanket box I refinished for my biggest grand daughter went home to her bed room.  At breakfast time this morning, in a flash,  I decided that the lid on the blanket box was too heavy and closed too easily and I feared for her fingers.  At breakfast I a brain wave.


safety donuts 
  

  When Clara gets older and more careful she can take the donuts away.  For now Opa can sleep comfortably.  This was a zoom down stairs, grab a bit of wood and go to the band saw.   It is great to have a workshop. 

  And just in passing,  yesterday Kieran and I made a mountain from paper mache and a train station from plywood.  Kieran's designs are getting more complicated all the time and he is drawing better plans all the time.  It is great to have a workshop. 

cheers ianw








  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment