Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Straight Cuts with a Circ Saw ??

selection of circular saws from thetoolstore.ca
   Probably everyone with a DIY workshop has a circular saw, maybe a couple.  You can spend a little bit of money on a saw, or a whole bunch.  Saws come with the motor mounted on either side or at the back in the case of a worm gear driven saw, they also come in a variety of blade sizes and as for weight, some saws weigh as much as a calf.

   Regardless of the saw in hand, they are powerful and attack your wood aggressively, usually too aggressively to be thought of as a finishing tool.  We have filled our shops with sliding mitre saws, table saws and band saws rather than learn to control our circular saw.


   I am in the process of deciding whether to replace my contractor's table saw with a: another one and get another 7-8 years out of it, b: a bigger better saw and have it forever,c: a good track saw system and have the floor space and maybe as good a saw system?

  Before I get crazy and get rid of my saw I think I am going to make a saw guide to try things out.  This video is one of several I have found showing ideas and methods.  This is not a decision that I am going to make lightly, or quickly but it is something that I will ponder.  For example this looks great for sheet stock, but what about ripping off 1 inch strips from a 6 inch board, how do you clamp the guide on?

  If there are folks out there with experience I'd love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment