Monday, February 28, 2011

Band Saw Tricks and other good ideas

   There is a site out there, a Canadian site judging by the web address, woodgears.ca that is very interesting. 
   The title says it is an engineer's approach to woodworking.  My daughter is a mechanical engineering graduate from Queen's University in Kingston so I have developed respect for engineers over the last few years.  When I was at McMaster all I saw of engineering was over turned benches and toilet paper flapping in the breeze.
   I look in on this site regularly to see what he is up to and to get inspiration for my own workshop.  I use his Zero Clearance Insert for the band saw all the time.


Zero Clearance Table

  Has anyone tried using 7 1/2 inch circular saw blades on their table saw that he talks about in his wood shop trick section. His logic is good but I haven't tried it yet.

3 comments:

  1. My table saw is underpowered so I use an 8", 1/8" kerf blade for perfectly smooth cuts and no hp problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great web site. I've been sorting through it for about 2 hours & there is lots of good information to be found here.

    The advice on the smaller circ saw blades makes sense - given that most of what we cut is under an inch. While I don't think the thin blade will negatively impact the cut, there are always blade stabilizers. My only question here would be around the quality of the cut. Although I haven't looked (yet), but a high quality circ saw blade might be hard to find.

    Thanks for the link, Ian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as bandsaw zero clearance goes, I use a couple after market inserts (by R&D Bandsaws I think) that work well. The drawback to using a thin layer of plywood is that could interfere with a fence system. The inserts I use are cheap enough that I have one for each blade size - works well.

    ReplyDelete